Anelka closing in on new Blues deal

(GSM) Nicolas Anelka is close to signing a new contract with Chelsea, according to the player s agent.

The France international has a year left on his contract with Chelsea having put talks regarding new deals for all their players on hold until after the end of the season.

But following a successful campaign, having completed a Premier League-FA Cup Double at the weekend, Anelka s future at Stamford Bridge is now set to be resolved.

The striker s agent Doug Pingisi has confirmed that discussions are ongoing and he is optimistic of a positive outcome.

We are still in talks [about a new deal] and hopefully we will have news soon, Pingisi told skysports.com.

He is happy at Chelsea and of course he wants to stay at Chelsea.

Anelka joined …

Fiorentina keen on Gino Peruzzi

Serie A high flyers Fiorentina are considering a January bid for Boca Juniors full-back Gino Peruzzi, .

Viola have enjoyed a very good start to the new campaign, climbing to second in the league standings and they plan to further reinforce their ranks in an attempt to finally clinch Champions League qualification.

Fiorentina coach Paulo Sousa has made signing a right-sided defender the priority in the January transfer window, with Nenad Tomovic currently the only serious option on the right hand side.

According to Il Corriere dello Sport, Viola are looking at Boca Juniors defender Gino Peruzzi, who already has some Serie A experience having represented Catania between 2013 and 2015.

The 23-year-old should be available for a fee in the region of €4m-€…

Van Persie passes Fenerbahce medical

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie is a step closer to completing his move to Fenerbahce after passing medical tests on Monday.

The Dutchman arrived in Istanbul on Sunday amid much fanfare and is widely expected to sign a deal with the Turkish side in the coming days.

A statement from Fenerbahce confirmed that Van Persie had passed his medical, paving the way for the 31-year-old to finalise a move.

The experienced Netherlands international moved to Old Trafford from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2012 and was pivotal to United winning the title in his first season at the club.

However, an injury-hit campaign last term saw him manage just 10 goals in the Premier League, with his chances of featuring regularly diminished by the capture of country…

Monaco sack Robert Moreno as Kovac speculation mounts

Monaco have sacked head coach Robert Moreno.

The 42-year-old was appointed by the principality club last December and led them to a ninth-place finish in the 2019-20 Ligue 1 season, which was ended early due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Former Bayern Munich boss Niko Kovac had already been heavily linked to the Monaco job before Robert s departure was confirmed.

A club statement read: AS Monaco announce that the club has launched a procedure leading to the departure of Robert Moreno. The Spanish coach was informed of this in a preliminary meeting on Saturday.

Monaco vice-president Oleg Petrov said: Our paths parted sooner than expected but I would like to thank Robert Moreno for accepting the challenge.

Together with his staff, Robert has done …

Chelsea start official Havertz talks

Chelsea have opened official talks to sign Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen, according to reasonably reliable journalist .

The 21-year-old attacking midfielder dazzled the football world with his talent and great performances in 2019/20, and has consequently been linked with a host of clubs around Europe. Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid have all been credited with interest in his services, but it seems Chelsea are about to beat them all to his signature. Having already snapped up Hakim Ziyech from Ajax and Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, adding Havertz into the mix would likely reshape their attacking line completely.

Apparently, Havertz is excited with the ongoing project at Chelsea under the guidance of Frank Lampard and happy to come, and so…

Mature Germany ready to sink Spain

Germany s abrupt coming of age at this World Cup has caught almost everyone by surprise everyone that is but their coach Joachim Loew.

Written off as too inexperienced in the run-up to the finals, Loew s squad will kick off Wednesday s semi-final against Spain as slight outsiders.

But it is testimony to the vibrancy of the performances Loew has overseen in South Africa that no-one will regard it as a major shock should they end Spain s dream of lifting their first World Cup.

While outsiders thought they could see significant weaknesses in a Germany squad rejuvenated by an influx of talent from the under-21 side that won last year s European Championship, Loew always felt he would be leading a competitive group into Africa s first World Cup.

I ve never d…

In-form Man Utd striker Rasmus Hojlund facing up to three weeks out with injury

Manchester United have received a blow with in-form striker Rasmus Hojlund expected to be out for between two and three weeks with a muscle injury.

That means the 21-year-old will definitely sit out Saturday’s Premier League match against Fulham, and almost certainly miss the Manchester derby on March 3.

Hojlund has been in a rich vein of scoring form, netting eight goals in his last eight appearances for United. His brace against Luton last Sunday also made him the youngest player ever to score in six consecutive Premier League games.

Rasmus Hojlund has suffered a muscle injury which is expected to rule him out for two to three weeks.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Rasmus

— Manchester United (@ManUtd)

A United statement on Friday r…

Spurs consider Foster move

that Tottenham Hotspur will make a move for West Bromwich Albion’s Ben Foster if Hugo Lloris returns to France in the summer.

The England international has emerged as the North London’s top transfer target, as they search for potential replacements for current first choice goalkeeper Lloris, who has been strongly linked with a move to Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint Germain.

Foster, who moved to the Baggies from rivals Birmingham City, initially on loan in the summer of 2011 before making the move permanent a year later.

Despite conceding three goals, the 31 year old produced a fine display as Spurs came from three goals down to draw 3-3 at The Hawthorns on Saturday afternoon.

That point moved Tim Sherwood’s men to within six of fourth place Evert…

Van Gaal wary of tough group

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal is under no illusions as to the size of the task his side face in Group B of the FIFA World Cup.

His men were drawn against Spain, Australia and Chile, with their first game of the competition coming in Salvador in June.

It will be a repeat of the FIFA World Cup 2010 final, which Spain won 1-0, but Van Gaal also believes the other two sides in the group will make life difficult for his charges.

You cannot do anything (about the draw), it just happens, he told NIS.

We are playing against the world champions (Spain), against Australia, who we have never won against, and Chile who are not a bad team.

In terms of circumstances, it s okay, but (if) you assume that you get through the group, then you come against a team from Br…

Rakitic agrees new deal with Barcelona

Ivan Rakitic has ended talk of a Barcelona exit by agreeing terms on a contract extension at Camp Nou that will set his new buyout clause set at €125 million.

The Croatian midfielder – who moved to Barca in 2014 – was heavily linked with a switch to Manchester City in January, will now remain with the Spanish champions until the end of the 2020-21 season.

The club confirmed the deal on their website less than 24 hours after their stunning 6-1 triumph over Paris Saint-Germain, although the player will not officially sign the paperwork until Friday.

Rakitic joined Barcelona from domestic rivals Sevilla and won the treble in his debut season, scoring the first goal in their 3-1 victory over Juventus in the 2014-15 Champions League final in Berlin.